« Back to All Posts
Archives by Month
What is Cross Training?
Cross Training involves a well-rounded program that includes cardio, strength training, agility training, flexibility, a fun sport that you like such as tennis, biking, basketball, etc, and some form of outdoor activity.
Why is Cross Training Important?
Cross Training is important because the different activities challenges your body, strengthen your body, and makes you less prone to injuries. If you continuously do the same exercises, you tend to overuse certain muscle groups, making it more difficult to lose weight and build muscle mass. Therefore, in order to burn calories, tone, sculpt, and build muscle, you have to switch up your exercises and try new things.
So now the question is….HOW DO I CREAT A Cross Training Program?
First, write down all the exercises you like to do. For example, if your favorite workout is running, then you might want to mix in swimming, yoga and strength training. You want to make it an overall balanced workout or call it a total body workout.
What if you are the type who loves to take various fitness classes?
Then you might want to choose classes from kickboxing, Zumba, Cardio Blast, Body Pump, etc. And don’t forget to add yoga or Pilates to the mix.
What if you are the type who likes to weight train?
Then you definitely want to spend some extra time stretching or even take a yoga class. Weight training can tend to tighten the muscles and if stretching is not part of the program, it can lead to injures and can keep you from doing what you love best…weight training.
So here is my Sample Cross Training Schedule:
For those of you who like to take Fitness Classes:
Monday: “Shape Up” Boot Camp
Wednesday: “Shape Up” Boot Camp
Thursday: Zumba Toning or Final Cut (SM Golds)
Friday: Active Rest
Saturday: A Fun Sport of your choice
Sunday: Outdoor Activity or Fitness Hike (RSVP to set up a fitness hike)
For those of you who enjoy doing their own workout:
Monday: Treadmill Run/Core Abs
Tuesday: Strength Training
Wednesday: Stair Climber/Core and Abs
Thursday: Yoga or Pilates
Friday: Elliptical/Core and Abs
Saturday: Active Rest
Sunday: Outdoor Activity or Hiking
You are more likely to workout on a regular basis if you keep your workout fresh and always try new things. Changing things up and trying new exercises will make you want to workout which leads to a happy and healthy fitness regimen.
So how do we acquire a high and mighty, athletic behind? Well, definitely not sitting on it for sure. The only way to achieve that great looking glutes is to work it, and work it! Even movie stars like J Lo, Jessica Biel, or Jennifer Aniston were not born with rounded derrieres, they all had to work at it and so can you, to achieve that perfect REAR VIEW!
First of all increasing age means decreasing volume everywhere-gravity does tends to take hold of it. Well, with a good amount of effort, we can expect to correct this gravitational pull or lets just say, fact of life. So here are just a few of my very effective BUTT BLASTIN’ WORKOUTS to a stronger athletic behind.
Remember to always “Keep the NAVAL INTO SPINE when performing your exercises
1. LYING HIP RAISES: This is a great isolation exercise for the glutes.
How To: Lie on your back with feet flat on the floor or toes pointing “down”
Squeeze your glutes and lift your hips as high as yo can.
HOLD for 10 secs, lower and repeat. Do 3 sets of 15reps. You can do this in between other Glute Exercises.
2. DEEP SQUATS: This exercise can be performed on the ground or on a BOSU ball for added challenge.
How To: Squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
Make sure knees do not pass the toes
Squat for 12 reps, then hold for 30 secs. Do 2 sets. Your legs will definitely be on fire! You can do 4 sets if you do not plan to do back-to-back squat exercises.
3. LUNGES: Lunges are one of the most effective exercises out there, especially to building a better butt. Lunge is more of a stabilizing workout that challenges the core and at the same time works your glutes. BOSU adds more challenge, but you can do without it as well.
How To: Take a long step forward and bend both knees until the front thigh is parallel to the ground. Again make sure front knee does not pass the toe.
Now, Stay at the lunge position and more up and down 10 times, then hold for 30 secs. Do 2 sets of 12 with a 30 sec hold in between. Again you can do 4 sets if you are not doing back-to-back glute workouts.
4. KICKBACK ON THE BALL (very challenging) You can do kneeling kickback with knees on the ground or toe kickbacks with toe on the ground.
How To: Kneel on all fours, start with your left leg, bring the leg back and tighten your glutes. Pulse the leg for 20 reps.
If you use the exercise ball, then you may want to do 10 reps on each leg. Do 2 sets.
5. DEAD LIFTS: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Squat down and grasp a barbell just in front of your knee.
HOW TO: From starting position (from knee), pull the barbell with a good amount of explosive energy toward your lower abs. Engage those ab muscles while you perform this exercise by taking your naval up to your spine. Do 12 reps of 2 sets. To isolate your glutes, squeeze them on the way up.
Guess What? Now you can do this in the privacy of your home and don’t even have to go the the gym to tone your tush!
Do you ever feel like sometimes you’ve hit that workout rut? You go to the gym and end up using the same machines or doing the same exercises over and over? Or you own all these exercise videos, and it all seems boring because you’ve watched it over and over again?
If you’ve reached that workout plateau, and want to change up your workout routine,then here is an IDEA for you!
1. Why not workout with a partner and make your workouts more exciting and challenging?
2. Why not enjoy the camaraderie and increased motivation while you workout?
3. Why not add some funky dynamic partner drills and circuit style training?
4. Why not workout outdoors and enjoy the sun and space?
5. Why not make it cost effective over one-on-one training?
Need some guidance on how to get started?
If you really want to make a change in your fitness routine and make your workouts even more effective, contact me and I will be happy to guide you to accomplish your fitness goals.
Just a quick preview of what my Dynamic Partner Drills and Circuit Style Training Will Entail for a Total Body Workout:
10 FUN FITNESS IDEAS TO GET YOUR FAMILY ON THE ROAD TO IMPROVED HEALTH AND CREATE LASTING MEMORIES:
1. GO TO THE PLAYGROUND WEEKLY: when was the last time you sat on the swing and pumped your legs to soar into the air? Your kids will love to see you soar!
2. WEEKEND EVENTS: IT DOES NOT HAVE TO COST MONEY….play basketball or soccer for a few hours!
3. TAKE A PEACEFUL GETAWAY: Decide together, it does not matter as long as everyone considers it peaceful and fun.
4. LIMIT TV OR ANY OTHER ELECTRONIC GAME TIME: Anything other than sitting in front of the screen will BURN MORE CALORIES and create cozy family memories.
5. QUALITY TIME WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY: Take time to reconnect with people you and your children don’t get a chance to see very often.
6. TAKE UP A NEW SPORT TOGETHER: It can be anything. Its a gift you’re giving your whole family that can be shared together over and over again.
7. CUT DOWN ON FAST FOOD: Begin by taking away one fast food outing a week and replace it by having the whole family involved in cooking up a healthy pizza, salad or anything at home! Its about the experience
8. TAKE PART IN COMMUNITY FITNESS EVENTS: Doing something physical with a large group of people is not only energizing, it demonstrates how much fun being in shape can be. And a little bit of competition can be great as long as the goal is not to be better than others!
9. BECOME FOOD CONSCIOUS AT HOME: Have your kids help you with grocery shopping. Have them help you pick out healthy fruits and vegetables. Make meat the side dish instead of the center of the meal.
10. GET ENOUGH REST: Many people, even children, do not get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain, mood fluctuations, and general well-being.
Adopt one of these ideas above each month. No amount of money, activities, trainers, counselors, or other professionals is going to surpass the influence you as a parent have on your child.
NOT SEEING RESULTS? HOW IS YOUR TECHNIQUE? HOW TO FIX YOUR FITNESS FAULTS.
1. DON’T: Exercise while parched
DO: Sip 15 ounces of water 2 hours before working out
2. DON’T: Sacrifice good form for faster speed
DO: Slow down and stand tall
3. DON’T: Trust a gym machine’s calorie-burn estimate
DO: Track your burn with a heart rate monitor
4. DON’T: Rely on cardio alone
DO: Swap aerobic exercise for weights 3 times a week
5. DON’T: Run if you hate it
DO: Pick a cardio routine that’s fun for you
6. DON’T: Read on the treadmill
DO: Download some fun music to listen to
7. DON”T: Rely on caffine to give you that energy boost
Do: Try my Pre-workout Food